Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Not Knowing When Is the Toughest Part

So you guessed it, no baby yet. And that's fine, the baby will come when the time is right. The thing that I'm finding hard is just not knowing when the baby will come. It could be today, it could be a week from now, who knows? For someone like me, this is particularly tough, because I'm not only a planner, but also fussy. For instance:
  • I'm doing increasingly small loads of laundry, because I don't want to come home to a whole mess of laundry to do.
  • I'm vacuuming, dusting, and tidying up much more frequently, in part because I'm home more and feel more relaxed with a tidy, clean living space, but also because I don't want to come home from the hospital and see work that needs to be done. I know myself, even though I know I shouldn't be running around worrying about cleaning, I'll still sneak it in and likely make myself more tired and cranky than I should.
  • Should I pack an overnight bag for Sam now? And what about myself, how much of my stuff should I pack, since I need certain items on a daily basis? Should I basically live out of a suitcase for a while, and have Sam do the same? For now, I've got bags half-packed and have a list of additional items to be sure to grab.
  • A little bit less of an issue this week than last, but how much time do I have left at work to make sure everything is squared away? Is it worth working overtime now to make sure things are set, if could end up still waiting for the baby a week from now?
  • How much should I work at home? I've got two months of leaving coming up, and will see a limited number of adults during that time. Should I make the most of whatever time I have left in the office to interact with my friends and coworkers, or spare myself the fatigue that comes with being in the office every day.
  • How much should I rest? Should I take a nap even if I can get by without on? I'm definitely beat by the end of the day, so what if I don't take a nap, then go into labor in the evening? I'll be wishing I'd taken that nap!
  • How much fresh produce should I buy when I go grocery shopping me? Part of me wants to horde and have a fully stocked pantry, but I also don't want to have a bunch of food that spoils on me. And going grocery shoppinng frequently isn't really a good answer either. I went on Sunday, and felt like a zombie trying to walk around the store. A trip to Kmart last night was even worse--I had hot flashes and felt like my circulation was all screwed up. All in all, I don't really enjoy shopping much right now.
  • How much quality time with Sam should I cram in each day? I know he'll be fine when the baby comes, and will be able to handle my absence, but I'm still feeling really emotional about leaving him, combined with the changes that are coming to his life.
  • I'm about to finish a book... should I start another?

So anyhow, a lot to stew about, though I'm trying not to. Phew... I know it will all work out, and that if the house isn't as clean as I'd like, it'll still be fine.

1 comment:

  1. The silly thing is that I'm living out of a suitcase now too. At least I won't be temepted to take off for Michigan tonight during the "blizzard warning" (I didn't know those existed) because of class and everything tomorrow. I'm itching to come visit soon. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete