Thursday, January 1, 2009

Baby News

As of today, I'm two weeks from my due date, and my doula is now officially on call. I had my last OB appt. on Tuesday morning, and so far there is nothing significant to report. I'm feeling pretty energetic, but the pelvic pain I've been experiencing off and on since the second trimester has become a constant for me and only varies in degrees of pain--sometimes it fades to a dull ache, while at other times, a sharp, acute pain leaves me hobbling around. I'm hoping that it fades quickly once the baby is born and my ligaments can tighten back up again.

Overall though, I can't complain. As many of you know, Chris and my dad have spent many weekends working on turningg the closet in our bedroom, which had been gutted before we moved in 3 years ago, into a real closet. After a massive burst of finishing work on Chris's part over the past weekend, we have finally been able to move our clothes upstairs and out of the room that will belong to the baby. The new closet has far exceeded my expectations and is a real work of art, with built-in shelves, shoe cubbies, etc. I'm absolutely thrilled with the end product and love spending time upstairs. Nothing gives me more satisfaction than a well-organized space, and I feel like we've achieved this, despite limited time and money.

The baby's room still has a bit of organizing to get through, but does now have the crib and changing table set up, making it functional. For the time being, we've left the double bed in the room so that there is an extra spot for an adult to sleep in the house. The baby likely won't sleep in her own room much at first, so I thought it'd be a good idea to have a spot for one of us to hide out if the baby is having a rough night, or for my sister to crash during her visit after the baby's birth. Also, since there isn't a bathroom on the same floor as our bedroom, having an adult bed on the main floor may prove to be a lifesaver if I ended up having to have a c-section for some reason.

With the house finally coming together, I'm finally feeling a bit calmer about the state of things and would be okay if the baby made an early appearance. Today is the first day in ages that I haven't forced myself to do something productive before lunchtime--it's really nice!* It's also nice not to feel like a major taskmaster, hounding Chris to keep at the home improvement projects.** I've still got a bunch of loose ends to tie up at work, and am planning on tackling them, but I think things would work out okay on that front even if I did go into labor early. In fact, at this point, I'm really hoping that this baby does come early, to make up for the two weeks of waiting that Sam put me through! I want to meet her! And, the closer I get to the due date, the more nervous about the delivery I get, so I'd rather spare myself that anxiety.

Anyhow, as things develop (or don't), I'll be sure to keep you posted!

*Figures... Sam is keeping us productive. He's really into cleaning and just dumped a bunch of Arm & Hammer pet hair release powder on the carpet and said it was time to vacuum.
**Although, it would be nice if the cat pans could get cleaned out at some point in the next day or two... hint hint.

No comments:

Post a Comment