Thursday, January 8, 2009

Let the accupressure massage begin!

Chris and I met with our doula, Exie, this morning, to discuss techniques for stimulating labor, including a demonstration of accupressure massage techniques. It was really interesting and relaxing (after the dogs settled down), and I'm feeling more empowered about labor this time around. Exie brought an aromatherapy oil blend that Chris is supposed to used on various pressure points throughout my body as often as three times a day. Some of the pressure points include the webbing between your thumb and forfinger, an area about three finger widths above my ankle, a spot below my third vertebrae but above my shoulder blade and a spot on the arch of my foot. While he applies pressure to these areas, I'm supposed to do some meditation involving contractions and such. I'm really hoping that it works, but even if it doesn't, it's very enjoyable and relaxing! I'm also going to be more diligent about using other techniques, such as sitting/moving on an exercise ball to open up my pelvis and drinking raspberry leaf tea.

It was also nice to just get a little more face time with Exie, prior to the big day. She reminded us that calling her in the middle of the night is more than okay, that's she's here for us any time if we've got questions, and that she's more than happy to come out to the house when I'm in the early stages of labor to help us with pain management, getting ready to leave, deciding when to go, etc.

So anyhow, here goes... we'll see if any of this works! I'll keep you updated on my progress (or lack thereof) in the coming days. As of right now, I'm feeling pretty good, and can report that I feel a bit of tightening in my abdomen following the visit with Exie. I think these techniques so some promise!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, Exie sounds fab. How awesome that she will come over during early labor. It seems like it could help you to have her expert opinion and support so you won't have to spend tons of extra time at the hospital while knowing that you are still staying safe and reasonable. Good luck, have fun with the relaxation.

    ReplyDelete