
One thing I feel really luck about in regards to Fiona's birth was having my sister come to town from Chicago to stay with us. Katy was able to arrive on Wednesday, the day after Fiona's birth, and spent the night at the hospital with me. This allowed Chris to go home and not only catch up on sleep, but also give Sam a bit of normalcy in what was a very weird week for him. Katy was great at the hospital. After watching Lost together (priorities!), we settled down for the night, me in my not exactly comfy hospital bed, and Katy in her downright uncomfortable foldout chair-bed. During the night, Katy helped out with soothing the baby while I slept, kept me company when I was up nursing and was just generally supportive.
When the time came to go home, Katy came along with us and slept in baby's room (formerly our guest room)--one good reason for us to have kept the double bed in the bab's room for a bit longer. Having Katy at the house was wonderful. Sam had someone there to give him special attention when Chris and I were either worn out or busy with the baby, for one. Katy was also very generous about running out on errands, making sure we had decent meals, picking up after Sammy (that kid can really tear a room apart!), bringing me snacks and water, holding Fiona so that I could actually get a shower, etc., and generally keeping us all company.
When Katy left on Monday, I think we all felt her absence. Sam adores Katy and missed his playmate, and Chris and I missed her company and support. The house still feels a bit empty without her around.
Katy, thanks again for staying with us. Your help was invaluable and we all appreciated having you here. Have a terrific time on your trip to Florida!

Thanks Liz, I loved being there. I'm so glad that we are close enough that I can fit right in to your family. I miss all of you. I hope Sam is feeling better. Pat and I are in Florida. It was a high of 54 degrees, but that still feels warm to us.
ReplyDelete